Monday, March 14, 2011

Trying Toddler Troubles

I'm not sure if it is the fact that we have brought home a new baby or if it is just her age, but Lotte has really come into her "terrible two's" a little early.  We are trying to nip it in the bud, but it's very trying.  She tests me, and pushes her limits all the time.  Over the course of two weeks I have said "No" and "Stop" more times than I can even begin to count.  And what's worse, my sweet Little Lotte has been to time out twice in the past week and a half.

Time outs have actually been a VERY positive experience for us.  When she is in the midst of a tantrum, we give her a choice: either stop her fit or sit in timeout.  She sits in time out and she actually stays there, no chasing her about the house and forcing her to sit in one spot.  We let her continue to cry until she sort of lets up.  It's usually a few minutes, the first time it was almost 5 minutes before she could control herself enough to listen to us.  Then I ask her if she is ready to stop crying and come out of time-out.  She says in her most pathetic and sad voice (behind all of her tears) "uh-huh".  Then she has to hug me and daddy and say sorry.  After it's over she goes about her next task with a little of the sniffles and an occasional heavy sigh.

I know that this is completely normal, that it will pass and that I have to be patient.  The worst part is that she KNOWS that her behavior is wrong and she continues to do what she isn't supposed to do whilst staring at me...daring me to do something about it.

CONSISTENCY AND PATIENCE.  That's what I keep telling myself.

That and I can't let the trying times overshadow all of her sweet and positive moments...like this...


and this


Gosh I LOVE this little girl!

-and on that note, I need to add a timeout chair to my list of things to do.  because my sweetie needs a cute place to sit when she is not being so sweet! :)


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...